For I am sure of this very thing, that the one who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

They had potato chips for lunch.

As usual I didn't prepare enough (not at all) the night before for my overnight trip to Spokane. (Which is an hour+ south of where I live.)  So, as a result, I tried to cram four hours worth of work into two.  Chaos ensued.  Getting together enough of everything for four children, ages nine months to six years, isn't as simple as throwing a few things in a bag.  There's all the extra stuff like clothes, blankets, diapers, food, bottles, bibs (which I forgot), toys, stroller, shampoo, sippy cups, etc.  Then when it's time to get into the car inevitably there is at least one poopy diaper...I got two.  I finally got everything in the truck and I am 20 min behind.  

As I am pulling out of the driveway I realize, I need gas.  There goes another 10 min.  At the gas station I face the fact, my children have not eaten and it's noon ...you see where this is going.  

I have a Dr's appt and I can not take another 15 min to get to the drive through, order, wait, and then distribute food.  Spying a variety of snack food I come to the conclusion that potato chips are the least bad of all the bad I'm looking at.  Three bags of chips it is.  I can not believe I am going to do this.  I have to laugh or I am going to get really down on myself.

My children were of course aghast at the prospect of eating a bag of chips for lunch.  They begged me to give them something healthy and well balanced.  They barely choked the chips and all their preservatives down.  All the while telling me what an awful mother I am.  NOT!!

So, they survived the ordeal and so did I.  The moral of the story, for me anyway, is get organized and don't procrastinate! 

Silly girl...

3 comments:

  1. So... feeding them chips for lunch is bad?... What does that mean when I tell mine that breakfast is the best time to eat cookies because you have all day to make up for it? Laugh all you want but I have said that... more than once... LOL

    I think you are a great mom and I love you all the more for the fact that in your house... chips for lunch is odd :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, you are an awesome mom! Your story made me think of my trip home from Walla Walla last month when my kids hadn't had dinner yet. We grabbed the healthiest food we could find in our Dollar Store...pretzils, fruit snacks, and juice boxes. Then I fed the PB & J when we got home.

    I know we talked about healthy, whole foods the other day, but sometimes a momma's just gotta do with what she has on hand! :)

    Blessings,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookies for breakfast especially with a glass of milk is very nutritious!!!Grains, eggs, oils, nuts or fruit and vegetable (you have heard chocolate is from the cocoa bean right ? ;-)
    We had friends that once went on and on about this health food restaurant they found nearby. You get fruits, nuts, dairy, protein, fiber, carbs and vitamins in on dish. When I asked them where they ate I found out they had banana splits at Dairy Queen for a late breakfast/early lunch. Heather you are a great Mom and things like that become fun memories for your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete