For I am sure of this very thing, that the one who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

Friday, July 29, 2011

God vs. gods and Eternity.

You're the only God
Whose name and praise will never end...

These are some of the lyrics in a popular worship song, You Are God Alone, written by Phillips, Craig, and Dean.  As I was singing them tonight I was struck by the fact that my God is the only God that has been praised from the beginning of time and is still being praised and worshiped.  And whose name has been proclaimed from the beginning of time and is still being proclaimed. 

It is interesting how many other gods have had their names proclaimed by men only for a short period of time.  (Relative of course to the history of man) However, in the Psalms we see that His glory (which is found in his name, among other ways) has been proclaimed by the heavens...so it would be logical to conclude that they have been proclaiming his name since he spoke them into existence. (Genesis 1:1)

19:1 For the music director; a psalm of David.
The heavens declare the glory of God;
the sky displays his handiwork. 
19:2 Day after day it speaks out; 
night after night it reveals his greatness.
19:3 There is no actual speech or word,
nor is its voice literally heard.
19:4 Yet its voice echoes throughout the earth;
its words carry to the distant horizon. 
In the sky  he has pitched a tent for the sun.
  
So how much confidence and trust can I have in a God who is has no beginning or end?  Whose glory is proclaimed by the stars?  Whose actions and plans do not depend on human whims, emotions, and finite understanding of the whole picture and eternal things.  I can trust Him with everything.  I know all this with my head, I would like to live in this truth at every moment.  Trusting in such an infinite God that loves me.  Resting in his truths.

Lord, show me your truths and help me to live in them at every moment.  Thank you for your amazing goodness and grace that I am permitted into your presence and that you have given me the Holy Spirit to help me live the way you would want me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment